Wanna lose weight and get healthy? One way to do this is by counting calories. As someone who makes a whole lot of meals, dishes, and treats by scratch this was a constant struggle for me. Then I came across the wonderful app for my iphone: MyFitnessPal (you can follow me with OneHotMess_YMamma) and, wow did that make things easy! Not only could I plug in the exact recipe that I created and let the phone do the calculations for me, I can also scan things like granola bars, and apples, and the app inputs all of the information, AND I can even search for restaurant foods and get the caloric count straight from the internet! Calorie counting made easy right here!
BUT, is there a right and a wrong way to count calories? And is it *really* effective?
I strongly believe that when it concerns being healthy and losing weight, WHAT you eat is far more important than HOW MUCH you eat. I have watched the scale go up when I eat one slice of pizza, and down if I eat an entire bunch of grapes. Plus I feel significantly different after eating those different foods. The grapes give me energy and a full, satisfied feeling, the pizza makes me sluggish and hungry, wanting more pizza. PLUS, that entire bunch of grapes is going to be at least half of the calories of that single slice of pizza. When it comes to counting calories, yes, a calorie is a calorie, but to get the full effect of counting calories in order to lose weight, try considering the following points:
- Eat the largest caloric meal first thing in the morning
- Pick the healthier foods, it really will make a difference
- Try not to drink your calories. Water is a neutral calorie
- Eat more than three times a day, try 5-6 times, spread those calories out
- Negative calories DO exist! Foods that burn more calories to digest than they give to your body (try celery!)
- You simply CANNOT out-exercise a bad diet, so don’t even try to burn off the extra calories that you consumed. It doesn’t work like that.
- Hit your calorie limit every day. Eating too few calories is not going to benefit your health. If you don’t eat enough, then your body is going to start eating itself, and your running into anorexic territory. I have been there and done that, and it isn’t as great as you might be lead to believe.
- Enjoy feeling proud of the healthy choices, and watching that scale go down!
Do you use MyFitnessPal? Feel free to follow me at OneHotMess_YMamma, and comment below with why YOU love MyFitnessPal!!