Do you know the polite manners for running on pavement? I don’t. I couldn’t even remember which side of the road I was suppose to be running on, or which side of me the dog should be running on, or if I needed to signal to passing vehicles, or what? So, I looked it up. I sure do love the internet, don’t you?
Did you also know that not only is there basic running etiquette, but there are rules for running in a race, or running on roads, or running on side-walks, running at gyms, running on forrest trails, running on park trails, and even some unspoken rules?! WOW, I was a little overwhelmed. Anyways, for the type of running that I am doing (on roads, not sidewalks, with a dog), this is what I came up with:
- Run towards oncoming traffic so that we can both see each other.
- Keep a leash on Pixie Dust and clean up her messes
- Pixie’s leash should be short enough to keep her close, but loose so that she can still run freely beside me.
- Run on sidewalks where applicable
- Always use cross-walks (don’t jay-walk!)
- Be aware of the traffic
Then, for running with a dog, these are just some good things to keep in mind:
- Keep a close eye on Pixie and watch for any injuries, especially to her paw pads (which are still fairly soft from pampered indoor living)
- Don’t let Pixie drink from any puddles: could contain antifreeze, salts, harsh chemicals, unknown products
- Train her to walk on one side of me, instead of the way that she often switches sides
- Bring treats to reward good behavior
I’m sure that I’ve still got lots to learn about having a polite and well-trained pooch, but Pixie and I are already off to a great start! She comes quickly when I call her, she’s mostly house-trained, she doesn’t pull on the leash, she is learning the basic “tricks” of sit, stay, roll over, shake, and lay down (obviously not in that order). She still chews on everything in sight, which is a slight problem with kids stuffed animals, but only a slight problem, because usually just telling her to quit is enough to get her to stop. She also is GREAT with the kids, and lets them hug on her as much as they want. Yeah, we got a good dog!
Is running with a dog something that you would like to do? How do you run with your canine friend?